Friday, October 1, 2010

Work Woes

Ok, so I'm about to post a novel about work frustration, or the lack thereof.. Hopefully I won't bore you too bad.

I have always worked full time in a clerical/billing setting and loved it. In Jan 2005 I got my dream job. I worked at the non-profit hospital doing financial assistance for patients who couldn't pay their bills due to lack of insurance or just poverty stricken. I loved it. Then a job came open to be a Medicare biller, I thought I would love to learn it as it would further advance me. I caught on quick and loved it. In Jan 2008, just after meeting my 'now' husband, my ex's family showed up on my doorstep on a Sunday night. Things were not good as my ex is not legally here in the US and I have always been afraid that he could at anytime try to take my kids and run and I would never be able to find them. Anyway, back to that night. It was kinda nerve racking and I had to make a decision to either stay and chance that or have the opportunity to move to Alabama with my husband. I chose the latter. I talked to my boss that Monday morning and let him know how sorry I was, but I couldn't leave a notice, I explained the situation and he seemed very empathetic and I thought things were ok. There were 4 other billers that could take my work until he got someone new. I even spoke to him a few times after and never felt anything wrong. While I don't like leaving without giving notice, my fears of our family safety overpowered that.

Fast forward to today. I have been on numerous interviews and even applied for my old job. I haven't gotten any of these jobs and I got a denial email on the one for my old job, no interview. Then I received a couple emails from a few different friends that also work there and they pretty much said not to use him as a reference and one even asked me to make sure I wasn't using him as a reference. I knew something was wrong at this point but I thought that I had covered my bases. So, I emailed him to see. No response. I emailed him again and apologized once more that I had to leave the way I did and offered an even more in depth apology. No response. I'm not getting a job and its because of him. I emailed the HR lady to see why I didn't qualify for an interview for the job I once held and she responded it is because the hiring manager doesn't wish to interview me..guess who the hiring manager is..that's right old boss. I'm being black-balled from everything I apply for now even though I thought things were squared away.

I understand his frustration with me or him not wanting to hire me back, but he has obviously bad-mouthed me to coworkers because of the emails they sent me. I feel awful. Doesn't it matter that for the time I was there, I never once called in sick and I went beyond my own duties to help out others. I was a good employeed and even other supervisors there have offered to be a reference. Do I not deserve a 2nd chance? How would you feel in this situation?

3 comments:

elephantscanremember said...

That is just awful. I am sorry it happened that way. With people like him, you can only do so much. It's hard for me to be more objective because I know you more personally.

I hope you can find the best job suited for you very soon. (hugs)

Steph said...

Check the laws in your state. I think what he's doing may be illegal. When I managed the hotel, I had to be SOOO careful when it came to hiring/firing/giving references. My understanding was that when a potential new employer calls for a ref, the past emp can only verify the dates they were employed, what their job titile was & if they'd hire them back. Nothing more, certainly no details about the employee.

If you want to know what he's saying, either call pretending to be a new boss (have a friend do it if you think he'd know your voice) & ask for a reference on you. You may want to record the call.

^J^ said...

Sorry to hear that. Apparently maturity doesn't come to all through age.

Good luck on the job front! I hope you find something quick!!